As tech-savvy consumers, we perform the daily transactions of our lives on our smartphones: we transfer funds, send emails and use social media to check in with friends and family. The use of smartphones makes previously everyday tasks seem archaic. Just think: sending a fax, using a digital camera to take pictures and even checking our watch for the time – we can now easily accomplish these tasks with a few taps on our smartphone.
Communicating benefit information to employees should not be any different. As technology continues to evolve, consider a benefit communication strategy that will reach your employees at their most commonly used point of contact: their smartphone.
Here is some food for thought, five ways to incorporate mobile technology into your employee benefit communication strategy:
- Allow employees to store benefit information in a secure smartphone app. Haven’t we all had the “I forgot my insurance information” moment at the Doctor’s office?
- Send automated reminders to complete important benefit information or communicate details like open enrollment dates to employee’s smartphones.
- Train employees and explain commonly misunderstood benefit terms with videos that can be easily viewed on a smartphone. Search your email inbox for the most common questions you receive – could this information be communicated through a video that your employees would be able watch on the go?
- Engage employees who may be more difficult to reach than those just outside your office door. Depending on your organization, you may have a large number of employees who work remotely or have a variable hour schedule. Ensure your employees have the benefit information they need at their fingertips.
- Increase participation in voluntary programs like wellness by “gamifying” employees’ experience using mobile technology.