By linking day-to-day employee tasks to the "big picture" of the company and recognizing contributing behaviors of employees, managers are able to fuel initiative and create success. Managers can help motivate their employees by:
- Reinforcing the importance of their role - by explaining the "why" and "how" behind their responsibilities
- Teaching how to lead by example and spread goodwill - by expressing appreciation and recognition
- Reminding them that what they do really does matter - by sharing stories and testimonials of excellence
- Ensuring understanding of the brand promise and sources of competitive advantage - by showing explicitly how they contribute
- Learning how to "reverse engineer" your business goals into the behaviors that will make them possible - by learning the specific behaviors that make your brand promise and goals possible
Do your employees understand the importance of their role in the company?