Adults between 18 and 64 need seven to nine hours of sleep per night – and almost one third of them get less than six hours per night. That means statistically speaking, one out of three of your employees is sleep-deficient and likely doesn’t feel or perform their best while working.
The link between sleep and job performance is well documented. People who are sleep deprived find it harder to maintain focus and are more likely to make errors. They’re also more irritable and more vulnerable to stress. What’s more, according to Gallup, poor sleepers report more than double the rate of unplanned absenteeism and cost an estimated $44 billion in lost productivity each year.
Thankfully, Sleep Awareness Week (with World Sleep Day) gives you the opportunity to celebrate sleep health with your workforce! Use these campaign recommendations to inspire your employees get the rest they need.
Set Your Campaign Objectives
Sleep is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle, and your employee benefits package surely offers a range of products and programs that support employees’ health and wellness. A Sleep Awareness campaign can help raise awareness of these benefits and even boost participation in specific wellbeing initiatives aimed at helping employees manage stress and practice daily self-care. For example:
- Increase downloads of your company's wellbeing app
- Encourage participation in your March wellness challenge
- Boost utilization of your health coaching or gym membership programs
Share These Handy Resources with Your Employees
Give this Communications Timeline a Try
- Send kick-off email introducing Sleep Awareness Week and outlining activities and resources
- Post a sleep stat on your corporate social channel
- Invite employees to share a favorite fall-to-sleep song on your corporate social channel
- Host a Sleep Hygiene webinar
- Post a sleep tip on your corporate social channel
- Send an email encouraging employees to download their wellness app and tap into sleep/meditation content
- Post a link to your wellness app on your corporate social channel
- Celebrate World Sleep Day!
- Post a summary of sleep awareness resources on your corporate social channel
This Campaign Helper is featured in the Q12023 Employee Benefit Enrollment & Engagement playbook, where more insights are waiting for you.